American Red Cross Swim Instructor Training
Interested in teaching swim lessons? Register to become a an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor! The Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification course is a new offering that will train WSI candidates to teach swim lessons and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety Program by developing an understanding of how to use course materials, how to conduct training sessions/lessons and how to evaluate participants progress. The training is offered in May and September each year for two consecutive weekends.
|Friday, May 7|
Saturday, May 8
Sunday, May 9
Saturday, May 15
Sunday, May 16
|5pm - 7pm|
10am - 5pm
12pm - 5pm
10am - 5pm
12pm - 5pm
|$200 Resident |
Prerequisite Test (held on first day of class)
- WSI candidates MUST be at least 16 years of age
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the swimming skills listed below (on the first day of class):
Swim the following strokes consistent with American Red Cross Learn to Swim Level 4:
- Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke - 25 yard
- Butterfly - 15 yards
- Back float for 1 minute (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
Online material will be sent to participants after registering for the class.
- Complete the online Orientation to the Swimming & Water Safety Program
- Complete the online Water Safety Instructor Course
- Attend all class sessions
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
- Score an 80% or better on the final written exam
Required Online Course
- Prior to the in-class date, all WSI candidates must complete an online course through the Red Cross Learning Center.
- Information on completing the online course will be emailed to WSI candidates upon registering for a class.
- WSI candidates will receive an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification (WSI) valid for two years on complete of the full course.
The fact sheet contains helpful information on how to obtain a Water Safety Instructor manual before class begins. Litchfield Park Recreation Center will provide a manual if the candidate is successful in passing the prerequisite tests.