General Questions and Concerns

Does the City have code amendments (changes/revisions) to the current building codes that may affect my construction project?

Yes. As part of the adoption process of the 2012 International Codes, the City has changed/revised sections of the building code in the form of building code amendments.

What type of work requires a building permit?

Whenever you construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or if you erect, install, enlarge , alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, mechanical or plumbing system (the installation of which is regulated by the building code), a building permit is required.

I am remodeling my home and will be relocating interior walls. I have two questions:

Do I need a City building permit?

Yes, a City building permit is required. Refer to Building Permit Questions and Concerns and section R105.2, I.R.C., for work that is exempt from a building permit.

May I reuse some of the original framing and finish materials from the existing relocated walls?

No. Used materials, equipment and devices shall not be reused, unless approved in advance, by the City's Building Official.

I am only relocating some electrical duplex receptacles and adding some recessed light fixtures. Do I need a City building permit?

Yes, a City building permit is required.

My wife and I have decided to re-roof our home and change the roofing material from asphalt shingles to roof tile. Do I need a building permit?

Yes. Since you are re-roofing with a different roofing material, a building permit is required.

Are there any structural issues I should be concerned about when we re-roof?

Yes. Since roof tiles weigh more than asphalt singles, the roof framing members (roof rafters or manufactured roof trusses) may not have been originally designed for this added roof (dead) load. Therefore, as part of the permitting process, a professional engineer or architect must analyze and redesign the roof framing as necessary to accommodate this added roofing material (dead) load.

Our landscaper wants to re-grade around the perimeter of our home and create an interesting look in the front yard with the use of rolling earth berms (mounds). Is there any building code regulation that addresses perimeter grading?

Yes. To provide proper surface water (yard) drainage, section R401.3, I.R.C., requires lots to be graded so as to drain storm surface water away from all foundation walls. The grade away from the foundation walls shall fall a minimum 6 inches within the first 10 feet. If this is not possible a minimum 5% grade slope to a designed drain or swale is required, reference "exception," section R401.3, I.R.C. In addition, always provide a minimum 4 inch clearance between the finish grade and the “weep screed” used in conjunction with (and located at the bottom of) the exterior stucco wall finish, reference section R703.6.2.1, I.R.C.