The residential inspection checklist for (final) stairway includes:
- Stair: maximum riser height is 7¾ inches, minimum tread depth is 10 inches, section R311.7 I.R.C. ***Please note: Comparing the greatest tread depth to the smallest tread depth for entire stairway flight: maximum 3/8 inch tolerance. Comparing the greatest riser height to the smallest riser height for entire stairway flight: maximum 3/8 inch tolerance.
- Open risers are permitted, provided the stair design opening between treads does not permit the passage of a 4-inch diameter sphere, section R3126.96.36.199, I.R.C.
- Minimum stairway headroom is 6 feet 8 inches, section R311.7.2, I.R.C. ***Please note: This is measured vertically from a sloped plane which adjoins the tread nosing or from the floor surface of the landing or platform on that portion of the stairway.
- Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of ten (10) inches measured at "the walkline" (12 inches from the side where treads are narrower) section R3188.8.131.52.1, I.R.C.
- Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of six (6) inches at the side where the treads are the narrowest, section R3184.108.40.206.1, I.R.C.
- Stair handrails (stairways with four or more risers) required on at least one side, continuous for the full flight, section R311.7.8, I.R.C.
- Stair handrails to be between 34” and 38” above tread nose, section R 3220.127.116.11, I.R.C.
- Stair handrails shall be returned or terminate at newel post, section R318.104.22.168, I.R.C.
- Stair handrail grip-size shall meet the section profile regulations of a "Type I" or a "Type II" for grasp-ability section R322.214.171.124, I.R.C.
- All stairs to be illuminated, with light switching at each floor level , section R303.7.1, I.R.C.
- Guards (minimum 36” in height) at balconies, decks, etc. over 30 “ above floor/grade, section R312.1.2, I.R.C.
- Guards (minimum 34” in height) at all open stairways, section R312.1.2, I.R.C.
- Glazing adjacent to stairways and landings, sections R308.4.6 and R308.4.7, I.R.C.